Kom al-Ahmer I
Latitude: N31°09.721', longitude: E30°27.011', altitude: 9 m. The Kom lies 2 km south of Kom Wasit, 7 km to the west of Mahmoudia town and the Rosetta branch of the Nile. It is a part of al-Rawda village.
1- On the survey maps of Egypt
The site appears on the map of Mahmoud Bey el Falaki 1866 map as Com el Nasr on the edge of Lake Edkou from one side, and the Delta from the other, also it appears both of Com Wastani, and Com el Grfè nearby. On the Survey Department of Egypt 1910 map, Sheet VI-III N.W. (Damnhūr) 1:50,000 the same site appears in the same location under the different name of Kom El Nos, while the nearby Com Wastani appears as Kom El Nos el Saghir. The edges of Lake Edkou disappear and a white area is presented around the site, without indication of the land-use. On both maps there were no indications of an archaeological site. The site does not appear on G. Daressy 1929 map , although Kom el Ghorfeh appears as a main site (6 km North of Kom Wasit). However, the map does show the new limits and edges of Lake Edkou which had retreated from the site. On the 1992 Topographical map of Egypt at 1:50,000 Sheet NH36-M1b (Damanhūr) two sites appear near each other as a white circular areas: Kom Wasit appears unnamed while the second, locally now known as Kom al-Ahmer appears as Kom al-Nasr. On the cadastral maps of the Ministry of Agriculture, the site appears as Kom El Ahmer. The name was given to the site by local inhabitants, because of the reddish surface soil that results from the presence of many small broken fragments of red bricks.
2- Fieldwork and finds
Adriani visited the site and collected some finds, among them a head in marble, but left without excavating in 1935. In 1942 El-Khashab conducted the first and the only archaeological excavation took place on the site and discovered two great baths.However, because El-Khashab did not find any written records mentioning the ancient name of the site, he dismissed the notion that they might be part of a town. He suggested that there was a town lay close by, and the bath complex at Kom al-Ahmer was a service area for that town. Tens of coins were found, the oldest dating to Ptolemy III, and the most recent being a gold dinar struck in the year 154 (Islamic year) = A.D. 771. P. Wilson visited the site in 2004; M. De Vos and Mohamed Kenawi visited in February 2008. In January and February 2008, a SCA emergency excavation took place on the south-western edge of the site; an area of three feddans were excavated and in the process destroyed. As a result, this area was redefined as a non-archaeological area and released to a local businessman for development. Between 2009-2011 the site was surveyed as a part of Western Rosetta Branch Documentation Project (Università Degli Studi di Trento - Università Degli Studi di Siena).